Thursday, January 25, 2018

Video and Photos: A Father-Son Trip to New Zealand


Written by: Alberto Rey


Diego Rey shows off a gorgeous South Island brown trout.
Photos by Alberto Rey

My 16-year-old son, Diego, and I arrived on New Zealand’s South Island in late November, which is the equivalent to our spring. It was one of those rare circumstances when everyone said that we were fortunate to have arrived during an unusually calm, dry and warm week and that conditions were perfect for fly fishing! I have never heard that is all my years of traveling and fishing. I usually hear, “Oh, it’s to bad you weren’t here a couple days ago when the fishing was great,” All of those years of bad luck had finally paid off. I’m sure my son being with me had also improved my karma.


The next few days were fantastic and we just could not believe the extreme beauty and the numbers of hungry fish in crystal-clear water. It was a great memory to share with Diego. Here are a few of my favorites photos and a video that features an authentic Mâori fishing song from the 1940s.

Alberto Rey is an Orvis-endorsed guide, an artist, and a faculty member in the Department of Visual Arts and New Media at the State University of New York at Fredonia.


Diego casts to another fish we spotted against the light-colored streambottom.

We did plenty of hiking in search of big fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment